Firearm Import Permit
Temporary Import Permit
Intrepid Safaris will apply for the temporary import permit of your firearms prior to your arrival through Africa Sky Guest House at a cost of US$150 per application. This might look like a lot of effort but once you get to Johannesburg and the permit is waiting for you it will be worthwhile.
Entry Regulations – All visitors require a passport, valid for no less than 30 days after the expiry of the intended visit. Travellers must ensure passports contain at least one unused page. It is imperative that travellers confirm regulations with their nearest South African embassy or consulate.
Please advise us off your arrival date.
SAPS 520 Application Form
In the link you will find the SAPS 520 application form and a couple of example documents
On the SAPS520 form you only have to complete the following:
- Page 2 of 8: Section D: Type of Permit
Tick number 5 for temporary import or export permit – This is when you are hunting in SA
- Page 2 of 8: Section E: Particulars of Applicant
Complete the whole section from 1 thru 25.4.
- 25.1 to 25.4 have to be completed, even if you are traveling alone. They will need these particulars (spouse / partner / contact) in case of an emergency.
- Page 4 of 8: Section G: Import and/or Export Details
Complete the section from 1 thru 9.2
IMPORTANT: The date format is YYYY-MM-DD
- Page 5 of 8: Section I: Details of Firearms
Complete all requested details about firearms and ammunition. Note I – 1.7: “Barrel Serial Number” – not necessary if barrel is solidly connected to the receiver, as are most bolt action rifles, and the receiver has a serial number and the barrel does not have a serial number. This is only necessary if the barrel has a different serial number than the receiver’s serial number or if there is no serial number on the receiver and the only serial number is located on the solidly attached barrel, as in some custom made bolt action rifles.
- Page 6 of 8: Section I: Declaration by person who is lawfully in possession of the firearm
Complete Sections 3 thru 4.4
- Section 4.1: Fill in the Name
- Section 4.2: Fill in the Date (Remember Date Format)
- Section 4.3: SIGN the Document
- Section 4.4: Fill in Place where you are signing the Document
- Page 6 of 8: Section J: Signature of Applicant Complete section 1 thru 4
We would need the following documents please:
- Notarized copy of the first page of your passport / your wife’s passport number if you are married. (Please add your wife’s passport number on the SAPS form, even if you are travelling alone).
- Invitation letter from your PH – Africa Sky already have one from Intrepid that they will fill out
- Flight itinerary
- Notarized US Custom form CBP 4457 – see example
- Letter appointing AfricaSky representative to apply for your permit – see example
- Please scan and email or fax the above documents to us so we can get the process running.
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org AND email@example.com
- Fax No: (+27) 86 689 5765
If the scan or faxed copies are not clear then we will request originals via FEDEX or DHL (NB 30 days prior to arrival)
If you need any assistance please feel free to contact us.
On arrival at Johannesburg International Airport (O.R Tambo International):
- Clear customs and passport control
- Pick-up general baggage
- Proceed to the luggage Carousel and pick up your bags.
- Look out for a security desk and tell them you need to sign for firearms.
- After signing for your firearms take your luggage and proceed through to the arrival Hall.
- Once you arrive in the International arrival hall look out for a AfricaSky sign with your name printed on.
- Our representative will then accompany you through to the Rifle office where you will collect your firearm
- If taking a connecting flight from Johannesburg International (OR Tambo International), we recommend that you leave a minimum of 3 hours between flights.
The following firearms and ammunition will NOT be allowed into SA:
- Any automatic, semi-automatic rifles or shotguns
- Any pistol or revolver (unless specified for hunting and accompanied by a written motivation)
- More than one rifle of a calibre per person (limited to 2 rifles per person)
- More than 200 rounds of ammunition per calibre
Temporary Import Permits will not be issued for anyone under the age of 21.
The Intrepid Lodge is a great favorite amount our clients. It is family friendly, complete with air-conditioned rooms, bar-lounge area, heated swimming pool and spa, wireless internet...Read More
Intrepid Safaris Africa is an accredited hunting outfit. We obtain all our licenses and hunting permits prior to the hunting season and only hunt on Nature conservation approved hunting areas...READ MORE
Africa has scores of heritage sites, national parks and other tourist attractions to keep the non-hunter happy. Intrepid Safaris can create an itinerary full of other tourist attractions...READ MORE